Saturday, December 6, 2014

The Safari Security Update That Wasn't:
Whatever Happened to 8.0.1, 7.1.1 and 6.2.1???

~~
[UPDATE 2014-12-11: Apple has now released Safari 8.0.2, 7.1.2 and 6.2.2. I'll be writing them up as soon as their security document is posted online. In the meantime, I'm going to guess that the ~mysterious~ security document for 8.0.1, 7.1.1 and 6.2.1 applies.]
~~

It's a 
~mystery~


Dateline: December 3rd, 2014 at 5:01 pm EST. 


I received a notice by email that Apple had released security updates of Safari, versions 8.0.1, 7.1.1 and 6.2.1. Because I was using OS X 10.10.1 Yosemite at the time, I managed to get Safari 8.0.1 installed and running just before it suddenly...


~vanished~


...off the Internet. Gone too were 7.1.1 and 6.2.1. The trio have never been seen again!


And yet on December 4th, 2014, the security announcement I had received by email ~mysteriously~ appeared on the Internet and has remained there ever since as an ominous spectre reminding the reader of what was, but is not, but may someday be.

Brave readers can glimpse this ~mysterious~ document themselves, before it too...

~vanishes~


Don't bother searching the net for the three updates. They aren't there. They aren't anywhere! ...Except on one of my Yosemite volumes. I played with 8.0.1 for about an hour and sensed nothing wrong. I had no idea that I was playing with something DEAD. Never once did I intuit that I was surfing the net with something that didn't exist, not in life as we know it. Now I'm unsure if I should run 8.0.1 again. I'm scared!


If the authorities rediscover these updates in the corporeal world, I'll be examining them closely in order to determine if their security patches are the same as those that ~vanished~ or if they are instead 
doppelgängers!




~~

[BTW: I have to comment, isn't it soooo Apple to have a security update released, then wait days for its security document to be released on the net.... While here we have a security update release that Apple pulled, and yet its security document remains on the net?! Why can't Apple coordinate its security updates AND its security documents? Is that so hard? Is it Apple???]

~~

No comments:

Post a Comment